Friday, June 29, 2012

Two years ago, during his report from the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Bishop of Lichfield announced to the Old Catholic bishops that the Episcopal Church was active in the 'communion of the unbaptized' ministry.  Fortunately, he usually gives his report first, so I could respond during my report. 

Later, I spoke with him privately.  I told him that the Bishops of the Episcopal Church had refused to accept this at the General Convention ('03 or '06, as I recall)...but...does it happen?  I'm sure, somewhere...but what are we to do?  If one of my priests decides to do this, am I prepared to inhibit the priest, bring in Church Attorneys, and pay Church Court costs, potentially up to $100,000?   He agreed that it didn't make sense...then he thought for a moment and said, "I have a priest who has denied the Trinity, and I can't do anything about it."  WHAT????

this year, he said that he heard that the Episcopal Church was welcoming dogs to the Altar Rail.  Not sure if he meant just as companions, or as they were receiving communion. 

Again, I said that I had never heard of that, except that some people do bring their dogs everywhere they go.  But - we are not in the habit of communicating dogs.

He again paused and said that he knew he had some laity presiding over 'Communion from the Reserved Sacrament' in some of his remote congregations.

then he said...'it's good that we talk about these things, to dispel the rumors.'  How true!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment